Aylsham U13s Held To Home Draw

Aylsham U13s Held To Home Draw

Match Report 13.01.19

Aylsham FC U13 v Stoke United U13, Youngs Park

Aylsham FC U13 welcomed Stoke United U13 to Youngs Park in the Norfolk Combined Youth Football League U13 Premiership this morning (Sunday 13th January).

In blustery conditions Aylsham kicked off and within a minute had a sight of goal after Bailey’s long kick set Josh away down the right. Josh beat two players on his way into the box and while the ball was cleared, Jack sent in a cross that fell to Freddy who saw his shot blocked with Adam firing the rebound narrowly wide. Three minutes later Jude played a lovely ball to Mitchy on the left but his shot flew just past the post. In the 8th minute a good ball from Freddy sent Brad through and he showed great strength to create himself a chance that the Stoke keeper tipped over the bar. In the 10th minute Brad went close again after Freddy received Jack’s throw, the ball fell to Jude who whipped in a first-time cross that Brad just couldn’t quite get his head onto.

Aylsham were having the majority of the play but still had to be on guard after a long ball forward threatened to breach the back-line but Tyler tracked his opponent superbly to halt the attack, conceding a corner which was headed over by a Stoke player. In the 18th minute Ronnie came on for Josh and a minute later Aylsham created another chance. Freddy accelerated down the right and played a lovely pass into Brad’s feet. While Brad was marshalled away from goal he turned back inside his marker to cross where Mitchy struck a first-time effort just over the bar. In the 25th minute Brad made way for Alfie in a straight swap. Three minutes later some quick thinking by Mitchy, taking a throw down the line, sent Alfie clear and, while he struck his shot well, saw it fly narrowly wide of the far post.

With five minutes left of the first half Josh came back on for Adam in midfield but two minutes later Adam came back onto the field to replace Tyler, slotting in at right back with Jack moving across to left back. After the reshuffle, Jack and Mitchy combined well down the left flank before setting Alfie away again but his powerful shot fizzed just wide. From the Stoke goal-kick Josh headed it forward and while a visiting defender headed it back out, the ball fell invitingly for Freddy who struck a shot from distance but the keeper made the save. The whistle blew to signal the end of a good half for Aylsham, just not being able to convert their dominance into goals, 0-0 at the break.

Stoke took the centre as the second half began and Aylsham pressed high to win the ball with Alfie’s cross being cleared by the goalkeeper, a stretching Freddy just unable to apply a finishing touch. Within a minute, Alfie turned his marker well, beating two more players, before putting in another dangerous cross that again just evaded Freddy. Most of the action was taking place in the Stoke half with Jude the latest player to try his luck but his shot from outside the box dropped just over the bar. Freddy was set away by Ronnie and his shot was well saved by the busy Stoke goalkeeper. In the 45th minute Brad returned to the action, replacing Ronnie.

Alfie and Jude combined well to play a perfect through-ball into Freddy’s path who accelerated into the box but his low left-footed drive hit the side netting. Aylsham went closer still in the 46th minute after a flowing move following a strong challenge by Josh who played a lovely ball over the top for Freddy to chase. While Freddy found his path to goal blocked he showed great strength to hold the ball up, waiting for Jude to arrive in support and laid it into his path but his curling effort struck the bar.

Aylsham finally got the breakthrough in the 49th minute. Ollie bravely stepped in to halt a Stoke move with Jude and Josh combining neatly to move the ball to Adam on the right. Adam’s long ball was nodded by Freddy to Mitchy who returned it into Freddy’s path. Freddy got himself in front of his defender and, while the keeper kept his shot out with his foot, the ball fell perfectly for Alfie who side-footed it home to give Aylsham a deserved lead. A few minutes later Alfie almost turned provider after latching onto Mitchy’s long throw and drilling in a low cross that was just behind Freddy.

In the 56th minute Aylsham thought they’d doubled their advantage after Alfie poked   the ball into the net after a cross from Freddy but the linesman has raised his flag for offside in the build-up. In the 59th minute Stoke were level after a corner wasn’t fully cleared and the ball was crossed back in where a visiting player had time to control, turn and rifle it into the bottom corner of the net to make it 1-1. Aylsham looked to regain the lead and in the 63rd minute brought Ronnie back on for Denver. The home side won themselves a corner in the 67th minute that Freddy delivered. Jude was first to it but saw his powerful header cleared off the line and away as Stoke defended stoically. A minute later Aylsham went close again, this time Ronnie heading a deeper corner back towards goal but another block on the line kept the scores level.

As the game approached its finale Jack was first to a clearance, squaring it to Jude who moved it right to Adam. Adam’s resultant shot from distance was well held by the keeper as Aylsham continued to try to break down a well organised Stoke team in search of a winner. In the very last minute of the match the home side fashioned another chance with Alfie putting in a low cross to Jude’s feet and while he looked up and struck it towards the bottom corner of the net, the Stoke keeper pulled off a fantastic diving save. This proved to be the last action of the match with Aylsham left to rue missed chances but Stoke staying strong and compact with the goalkeeper particularly standing out, the teams taking a point apiece.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *