Aylsham U13s Begin Their Premiership Title Defence


Match Report 09.08.18

Aylsham FC U13 v Costessey Sports United U13, Youngs Park

Aylsham FC U13 began their Norfolk Combined Youth Football League Premiership title defence hosting Costessey Sports United U13 at Youngs Park today (Sunday 9th September).

A bright but breezy morning welcomed the teams to the field, Costessey kicking off proceedings with the wind at their backs. The opening exchanges were frantic with both sides trying to keep the ball on the ground and looking to move it quickly. Aylsham created the first real chance in the 5th minute after Bailey came out to clear, finding Mitchy on the left who did well to keep the ball in play. After cutting inside, the ball was moved to Jude who picked out Freddy, flicking it forward. Alfie was onto it in a flash, accelerating away from his defender only to see his shot parried with the rebound just evading the onrushing Jack up in support. Shortly after Alfie had another attempt at goal after a long throw from Mitchy was only half cleared, but the striker’s dipping volley dropped just over the bar. Costessey looked to get the ball forward quickly and directly but the defensive four of Adam, Jaiden, Ollie and Tyler stood strong, protecting Bailey who was organising from the back. A break by Costessey threatened the hosts, but the low cross was well blocked by Jaiden in the six yard box with Bailey completing the clearance.

In the 10th minute a lovely move by Aylsham gave them another sight of goal. A long throw from Jack was flicked on by Adam. Josh controlled it well before playing into Mitchy who sold his marker a dummy to let the ball run to Jude. A slick one-two between Jude and Alfie created a shooting chance for Jude and only a brave block halted the move. Five minutes later Aylsham continued on the offensive with a quick attack starting with a long kick from Bailey. Jack controlled the ball first time and played a neat one-two with Jude before setting Freddy away who in turn spotted Alfie’s run, and played the ball into his path. Alfie burst through but two defenders managed to send him away from goal before he could shoot and clear for a throw-in. From this Aylsham took a deserved 16th minute lead. Mitchy’s long throw was initially cleared but Tyler won the ball back, returning it to Mitchy. The winger looked for Freddy but his pass was deflected to Alfie who cushioned a defence splitting pass into Freddy’s path who had advanced into the area, finishing clinically with his left foot inside the near post to open the scoring.

Spurred on by the opening goal, Aylsham had their tails up straight from the restart as Josh forced an error to win possession back before arrowing a pass into Jack’s path down the right who cut back inside to lay off to Freddy but a great tackle just prevented him getting his shot away. Moments later another long throw from Mitchy caused panic in the Costessey box and a hurried clearance was lifted back into the area where Jack struck a volley from the right that dropped narrowly over the bar. Aylsham still had to be on their guard as a long ball forward was chased by the Costessey striker who made a great run but Ollie matched him stride for stride and guided his man out of play to win a goal kick.

Twenty minutes in Mitchy and Jack swapped flanks as Aylsham continued to create good opportunities from wide areas. Mitchy, now operating on the right, played the ball inside to Josh who switched it out to Jack on the left. Tyler offered himself as an option and the ball was moved quickly to Josh and back to Jack who sent in a cross that was nodded into Alfie’s path by Jude before being lifted to Freddy who volleyed just wide. Freddy was in the thick of the action again shortly after with a strong challenge to win his side the ball. Josh drove into space before finding Freddy again who had continued his run but his goal-bound effort forced a diving save from the visiting keeper to keep the score at 1-0.

In the 27th minute Aylsham doubled their advantage. From a Costessey clearance Freddy directed his header to Mitchy who laid it back for Adam to play it forward first-time. While a visiting defender half-cleared, Jude was on hand to knock it to Alfie who turned his defender beautifully to create himself some space. Alfie took another touch to set himself before placing a pinpoint left footed effort out of the goalkeeper’s reach, low down into the corner of the net from the edge of the area. Three minutes later Aylsham has another sight of goal after Adam won the ball before picking out Mitchy whose cross from the right was partly cleared to Josh who unleashed a powerful volley from distance that went just over the crossbar. Moments later Alfie brought the best out of the Costessey keeper again with a rasping shot that the stopper did well to tip over. Mitchy put in a dangerous corner that Jude met on the run but he directed his header narrowly wide.

Aylsham were controlling the game at this stage and enjoying plenty of possession. Jaiden played a searching cross-field ball to Mitchy who lifted it forward first-time into Alfie’s path. The striker beat two defenders on his way into the box but the Costessey goalkeeper came off his line quickly to snatch the ball off his toes as he looked to finish. In the 34th minute Aylsham scored their third goal and what a goal it was! Bailey began the move, rolling the ball to Ollie on the right side of the area who played a neat ball down the line to Adam’s feet. Adam drove forward into space spotting Mitchy’s run to send him away down the right channel. Mitchy cut inside and he and Jude played a neat one-two before Mitchy crossed to the back post where Jack blasted a left-footed effort first-time into the roof of the net to finish off a devastating move that took 18 seconds from the ball leaving Bailey’s hand to the final finish. The goal was all the more pleasing for the coaching staff who had been working on playing out from the back in the training session on the lead up to this game. This was the last action of the half with the whistle blowing to signal the break with Aylsham leading 3-0 after a dominant first half display.

The home side kicked off the second half with Denver and Brad coming on for Adam and Mitchy respectively. Aylsham carried on where they left off, moving the ball quickly and with purpose, retaining possession. Costessey came more into the game after Aylsham’s dominance of the early part of the second period with a flurry of attacks that Aylsham dealt with well. Six minutes into the half, the home side fashioned a chance after a quick break following Denver bravely heading a Costessey free-kick clear. Alfie combined well with Jude before the captain set Brad charging away down the left, the league debutant cutting inside and firing inches wide of the far post from just outside the area.

In the 42nd minute Costessey reduced the arrears with a well taken goal. A through-ball breached the Aylsham backline and the visiting striker was away down the left, cutting back inside to finish clinically. The goal gave the visitors a boost and the game was very much more even with both teams looking to press high. Costessey almost scored another after a quick break and pass, getting in behind the Aylsham defence but Ollie came to the rescue with a fantastic clearing header under pressure from inside his own six-yard box. The game was end-to-end with both sides trying to maintain possession and attack quickly.

In the 53rd minute Mitchy returned to the fray, replacing Jack on the right. Mitchy was involved straight away, cutting inside his marker before looking to switch the ball to Brad. A Costessey defender got a slight touch on the ball but could only direct it into Alfie’s path who struck a powerful right-footed shot that the visiting keeper dived full length to parry away from danger. Within a minute Bailey was called into action at the other end as another long ball set the Costessey striker away but, as the ball looked as though it might just sneak in, the Aylsham stopper dived smartly to his left to keep it out. The visitors were taking the game to their hosts at this stage and were enjoying plenty of the ball. Costessey fashioned two good opportunities but both final efforts went narrowly wide. Aylsham made another change with Adam coming back on for Josh in the centre of midfield.

In the 63rd minute Aylsham restored their three goal cushion with another well worked goal. Tyler took a throw-in on the left, just inside the home side’s half, and the ball was returned to him by Jaiden before he lifted the ball forward first-time. Freddy reacted quickly to flick it down the line where Brad picked it up with his back to goal and showed great strength to hold off his marker, turning inside him before drawing another defender and playing the ball past him to run onto. There was no stopping Brad as he accelerated into the box before planting a firm right-footed shot into the top corner of the net for his first league goal for his new team.

Jack replaced Brad with 7 minutes left and Mitchy switched back out to the left with Jack on the right. The two wide players combined well moving the ball from right to left with Mitchy’s cross-shot parried away by the Costessey keeper. Aylsham played keep ball and looked to pass it around quickly, Jack and Freddy linking up well, Freddy’s shot from the edge of the area being well saved as the home side went in search of more goals. Josh returned to action giving Jude a breather. As the game entered the last two minutes Aylsham had another opportunity as Tyler’s throw was chipped forward by Freddy. Adam was just beaten to it by a Costessey defender but Jack reacted quickest to the loose ball, flicking it up with his right foot before firing a left-footed volley that the visitor’s keeper held well above his head. Another flowing five-man move by the home side moved the ball from right to left with confidence, finishing with Josh’s dangerous cross just evading Alfie and Adam in the end. The full-time whistle blew after a much more even second half with both sides looking to play passing football. Aylsham victorious by 4 goals to 1 in an entertaining game played in great spirit to start the season off with a good win.



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *