Aylsham U12s Late Late Show

Match Report 03.12.17

Aylsham FC U12 v Holt United FC U12, Youngs Park

After a week off, due to a fixture postponement last week, Aylsham FC U12 welcomed Holt United FC U12 to Youngs Park in the Norfolk Combined Youth Football League Premiership this morning (Sunday 3rd December).

Overcast but mild conditions greeted the teams as Aylsham kicked off on a good looking surface. The home side were confident to play the ball around looking to unlock Holt early on. Holt were well organised and kept their shape as Aylsham tried to get their passing game going. Jack, Josh and Freddy linked up well down the right to win a throw in and Josh showed quick feet to whip in a cross  that was cleared behind. Freddy put in a deep corner that just evaded Alfie steaming in at the back post.

Another slick Aylsham move led to a corner down the right. Mitchy played it short to Freddy and his cross was met by Adam’s head but the keeper claimed his effort confidently. Holt came more into the game and put some nice passages of play together with Ollie standing firm to sniff out the danger from one very promising Holt attack.

Aylsham won a free kick just outside their own area and Ollie pumped a great ball forward towards Freddy whose defender did well to keep with him and got a valuable touch to play the ball back towards his own goal. Freddy didn’t give up and put in a teasing cross that Alfie played back out to Mitchy.  Mitchy’s low cross was only half cleared and Jaiden picked up the loose ball, twisting and turning to create space to shoot with his left foot only to see his effort fly just over the bar.

From the goal kick Holt looked to build an attack but Jack and Jaiden worked together to halt their progress. The ball was moved to Josh in the centre of midfield who drove purposefully forward before trying his luck from distance, but his powerful effort flew just over the top in the 10th minute.

Holt were working really hard to keep Aylsham at bay, competing for every ball and the home defence had to be alert as the visitor’s direct style threatened. A clearance was picked up by a Holt midfielder who went on a mazy run before curling a shot that was destined for the top corner. Loz had other ideas and dived full length to his left to brilliantly tip the ball onto the bar and recovered brilliantly to claim the rebound in the 15th minute.

Holt had their tails up and broke forward again, Adam putting in a great block with Ollie completing the clearance to find Alfie in space. Alfie outpaced two defenders on his way into the box before arrowing a left footed shot that struck the base of the post. Mitchy lifted a first time cross back in from the rebound but Alfie’s acrobatic overhead kick dropped just wide. Moments later a long ball forward from the Holt defence was seized upon by the visitor’s striker who saw his cross-shot rebound off the post with Loz narrowing the angle.

20 minutes into the game Freddy was replaced by Denver with Jack moving forward wide right and Denver joining Ollie and Adam in defence. Mitchy and Alfie made inroads down the Aylsham left with the keeper having to be sharp to save Alfie’s low shot with his legs. Moments later Mitchy turned provider again, cutting inside before setting Josh away and while his effort went just past the far post Jack had followed up in support, but from a very tight angle could only side-foot the ball into the side-netting.

Holt looked to get the ball forward quickly but the Aylsham defence stood strong, Denver staying calm under pressure to move the ball to Jack who flicked it first time inside finding Jaiden in space. Jaiden burst forward and struck a firm shot that the keeper did really well to parry away and behind to concede a corner. Tyler came on to replace Jaiden and Denver moved forward into the centre of midfield with Tyler at right back and immediately put in an important block to prevent a Holt player moving in on goal. Josh stung the hands of the goalkeeper with an accurate shot from distance and on the very next attack Josh struck another effort that the keeper saved low down.

Alfie was working hard up front with Holt defenders tracking his every move but he did brilliantly to find enough space to fire in a shot that flew inches wide. A flowing Aylsham move almost broke the deadlock with Tyler and Denver passing and moving before bringing Jack into play. Jack turned quickly and spotted Josh running into space beyond him and found him with a nice through ball. Josh’s cross was met by Alfie’s head but another good save kept the game at 0-0.

Just before the break Mitchy skilfully beat two players before finding Denver in space who played it back to Mitchy marauding down the left. While his first centre was blocked, Mitchy hit a powerful shot with the outside of his left foot from the rebound and the keeper did brilliantly to beat the ball away. In the final minute of the half Holt won a corner. Jack headed the ball clear but it was lifted back into the box where a Holt player nodded narrowly wide before the whistle blew to bring an end to a goalless first half.

Jack was replaced by Charlie for the second half as Holt kicked off. The game remained tight throughout the half’s early exchanges with both teams trying to move the ball quickly. The first chance of the second period fell to Aylsham as Tyler found Alfie with his back to goal. Alfie held the ball up well after turning his defender to set up a chance for Josh which was well blocked. Alfie retrieved the ball and drifted past his marker before firing a left foot shot against the post for the second time in the match.

Loz received a back pass before sweeping the ball out to Charlie on the right. Charlie moved the ball via Tyler to Adam who just couldn’t quite thread the ball through for Mitchy who had made a great run. On the next attack a long throw from Charlie was hastily cleared out to Adam who fired a shot wide from distance. Moments later Denver went on an explosive run, evading his marker before seeing his cross-shot expertly tipped over the bar by the busy Holt keeper.

10 minutes into the second half Josh took a knock and Freddy returned to the fold. Holt were dogged and determined in defence making life very difficult for the Aylsham players closing the ball down quickly. A nice move from Adam on the left to Charlie on the right resulted in Freddy finding space to shoot but the Holt keeper pulled off another fine diving save. From Mitchy’s out-swinging corner Denver climbed highest but headed just over. Soon after Freddy put in a wicked corner that flashed across the face of goal with no Aylsham player able to get a telling touch.

Alfie tried his luck from distance with 10 minutes left but was unfortunate to hit the upright for the third time in the game with the goalkeeper beaten. Aylsham conceded a free-kick midway inside their own half but Denver charged down the shot at goal. Aylsham broke quickly with Mitchy unstoppable down the left and his cross looked to be perfect for Alfie but a Holt defender came out of nowhere to desperately slice a clearance just wide of his own goal.

A dangerous ball was played into the Holt box and the keeper did well to parry Alfie’s effort as he tried to lift it over the advancing stopper. The ball rebounded to Denver who volleyed just wide as Aylsham pressed for the all-important first goal. The breakthrough wasn’t far away as the game entered its final stages. Adam’s throw was headed on by Mitchy and although the ball was hacked clear Alfie charged it down. The ball rebounded to Mitchy who looped in a cross from the left that Denver ran onto unopposed before directing his header into the corner of the net just out of the keeper’s reach.

Holt had to change their game plan and committed men forward in search of an equaliser. Loz had to keep his focus as a shot from distance bounced just in front of him, the keeper confidently dealing with the effort. The final whistle blew to signal the end of a very tight game with Aylsham probably just shading it on chances created. Holt played their part in a well contested match keeping their shape, closing the ball down quickly and creating opportunities but Aylsham continued on their quest for the Premiership title with their 9th straight league victory.




Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *