Aylsham U12s Begin Their Kappa Cup Defence

Match Report 19.11.17

Aylsham FC U12 v Hellesdon FC U12, Hellesdon High School

A bright and mild morning at Hellesdon High School as Aylsham FC U12 travelled to face Hellesdon FC U12 in the Kappa Cup 2nd Round today (Sunday 19th November), Aylsham looking to defend the trophy they won last season.

Hellesdon kicked off proceedings playing down a slight hill. Aylsham were straight out of the blocks with Freddy and Jaiden linking up well to create a shooting opportunity for Mitchy who saw his powerful shot bravely blocked. Mitchy had another shot at goal soon after picking up a deep cross from Josh but again the defence stood strong to keep his goalbound effort out.

In the 5th minute Charlie showed great strength to prevent a shot from the Hellesdon winger before linking up well with goalkeeper Adam to begin a swift Aylsham attack. Charlie spotted a run by Josh into space who in turn set Tyler away down the right. Tyler’s cross was played into Freddy’s path but the goalkeeper came off his line smartly to snatch the ball off Freddy’s toes.

A long Hellesdon ball over the top threatened to breach the Aylsham backline but Adam came out quickly to block the shot with Jude covering to clear the rebound behind. The Hellesdon corner was headed away by Jaiden with Josh picking up the clearance to find Freddy who turned at speed before leaving his defender in his tracks before moving the ball to Josh who had sprinted the length of the field to support. After twisting and turning Josh moved the ball to Tyler who saw his first-time shot gathered at the second attempt by the keeper with Freddy following up, ready to pounce on any rebound.

The Aylsham chances kept coming with Charlie starting a move that ended up with Josh’s cross just evading Freddy and Tyler in the box. Aylsham took a deserved lead in the 10th minute following a short corner that Mitchy delivered into the box. Jude controlled the ball well bringing Jaiden into play who in turn found Josh with an accurate pass. Josh looked to find some space but found himself quickly surrounded by four Hellesdon players who could only clear the ball as far as Mitchy. Mitchy showed great feet to beat two players to create a shooting opportunity and, while the busy Hellesdon keeper did well to parry the effort, could only divert it into Denver’s path who slotted home the rebound to give the visitors the advantage.

Aylsham continued to dominate possession and Jude found Freddy on the edge of the box who turned brilliantly before unleashing a dipping volley that the keeper did well to push away. Jude and Tyler linked up well down the right side to create an opportunity for Josh but his powerful shot flew just over. Hellesdon were defending doggedly getting men behind the ball as Aylsham looked to increase their lead. Tyler was having great success down the right giving his defender a tough time and creating chances. Tyler laid the ball back for Jude to shoot from distance but a fantastic diving save kept the ball out. From Mitchy’s corner Denver deflected the ball goalwards but a defender managed to hook it off the line and away.

Adam, Charlie, Denver and Jude were confident in playing the ball out from the back liking up well with the midfield making the ball do the work. Archie came on and was involved in a nice passage of play that ended with another good save from a shot by Freddy. Moments later Archie tried a shot from distance but saw his effort bravely blocked by a busy Hellesdon defender. The keeper was called into action again soon after as Freddy watched on as his left-footed drive was beaten away.

Jack came on in the 22nd minute to replace Freddy up front and linked up well with Jaiden to set Tyler away down the right but unfortunately the return ball was just touched away as Jack was setting himself to strike. On the very next attack Jaiden struck a left-footed effort narrowly wide. Tyler and Jaiden played two neat one-twos giving Jaiden a sight of goal but his shot rose up and over the bar. From the goal kick Archie tried his luck but screwed his shot just wide.

With half time approaching Aylsham were virtually camped in the Hellesdon half, Archie playing the ball forward where Jack sold his defender a dummy to give Mitchy an opportunity but his shot with the outside of his left foot found the keeper scrambling across goal to keep it out. From Mitchy’s corner Denver planted his header just wide.

In the 28th minute Aylsham got the second goal their dominance deserved as Archie won the ball in the centre circle to move his team forward. A Hellesdon defender hastily cleared the first ball but Jaiden intercepted the second ball riding two challenges before rifling a right footed effort that beat the keeper low down to his left.

Aylsham continued to dictate play with Tyler and Jaiden moving the ball from right to left into Archie’s feet. Archie sent his first time shot goalwards and after the ball was blocked by a defender Jack was first to it but saw his left-footed volley smartly saved as the keeper carried on his great form. Jack and Archie combined well again bringing Mitchy into play down the left who lifted an inch perfect ball for Jaiden to run onto but the keeper brilliantly parried his dipping volley.

Just before the break Mitchy showed great feet to ghost past his defender but was unlucky to see his cracking shot beat the keeper but rebound off the inside of the post and away. Mitchy put in a great cross seconds later that Denver acrobatically volleyed back where Jack planted a firm header that the keeper did well to block as Aylsham went in search of more goals.

Another Mitchy centre just evaded Tyler at the front post and Denver at the back post. The whistle blew to signal the end of a half dominated by Aylsham who were thoroughly deserving of their 2-0 lead with the Hellesdon back line defending brilliantly under pressure throughout the half.

Aylsham kicked off the second half and carried on where they left off, in possession and attacking with purpose. A change of personnel saw Jude take over goalkeeping duties allowing Adam to come into the midfield. Aylsham’s third goal came in the first attack of the half with Josh and Jack combining well to build play finding the returning Freddy on the left. Freddy found his forward movement tracked well so played back to give Charlie the opportunity to burst forward into space after he expertly dropped his shoulder to leave three opponents in his wake. Charlie lifted the ball over where Tyler did brilliantly to wrap his foot around the ball to cross back to Jack who finished clinically, beating the keeper at his near post with an accurate first-time shot.

In the very next minute Jack was at it again to give Aylsham a 4-0 lead after a devastating break down the left. Josh ran at the Hellesdon defence with speed and agility before releasing the ball after spotting Freddy’s perfectly timed run. Freddy whipped in a left footed cross that Jack controlled skilfully before burying ball on the volley into the corner of the net.

Aylsham continued playing some exquisite stuff at times, giving their opponents the runaround while playing controlled and slick football all over the pitch. Denver made his way forward by first playing a neat one-two with Freddy then a one-two with Josh and only a last ditch challenge prevented Denver from finishing a wonderful move. Josh was involved again soon after with a great run followed by a powerful shot that stung the keeper’s hands as he bravely blocked Josh’s effort.

Tyler won a free-kick midway into the Hellesdon half and Adam’s direct set-piece was brilliantly tipped over the bar. The keeper was called into action again from the corner as Denver tried his luck from distance, again beating the ball away. Freddy’s deep corner was met on the volley by Josh but he couldn’t quite hit the target from a tight angle. From the resultant goal kick Josh returned the favour to Freddy but his left footed cross-shot flashed agonisingly wide.

A fluid six man move in the 36th minute moved the ball from left to right but unfortunately Tyler’s effort was blocked with Aylsham in full control of the game. Jack put in a great corner from the right where Denver climbed highest but directed his header just over the bar. Denver started a move from the centre of defence setting Tyler away down the right. Tyler cut inside to find Josh marauding forward and while his progress was halted by a strong challenge Denver had moved forward in support to pick up the loose ball. Denver fired a shot from distance where Adam flicked a header that the keeper brilliantly tipped round the post.

Jack completed an 11 minute hat-trick after a header from Tyler back to Adam who lifted a first time ball forward. Jack was onto it in a flash accelerating away to finish with aplomb firing powerfully beyond the keeper into the net to make it 5-0 Aylsham. The visitors were playing with confidence and played keep-ball moving the ball quickly to feet. Archie broke up a Hellesdon attack finding Josh in space and, after a quick one-two with Freddy, fired a shot fractionally wide.

Charlie played a great ball into Adam’s feet and after a superb Cruyff turn found Josh who bent in a cross that Jack struck well but the keeper made another smart save. Mitchy, Jack and Freddy linked up beautifully but a desperate clearance just prevented the ball from reaching Mitchy who had made a great run into the box.

Goalkeeper Jude was a spectator for much of the second half but had to be on his guard to stop a promising break by Hellesdon. The home side won a corner that was comfortably cleared by Denver to set up another Aylsham attack. In the 48th minute Aylsham struck again after another flowing move. Denver spotted Freddy’s run down the left channel and played a perfect ball into him. Freddy drew his defender before releasing the ball to Adam who had joined the attack in support. Adam took a nice touch on his way into the box. A Hellesdon defender tried to clear but Adam closed him down to win the ball back before placing a right footed shot into the top corner to give Aylsham their 6th goal.

With 10 minutes left Hellesdon had a great chance to score but flashed the shot just wide of the far post keeping Aylsham’s clean sheet intact. Jaiden returned to the fray and played a great ball to find Adam in space. Freddy was away down the left after being played in by Adam but his low cross was just behind Jack and Mitchy and Hellesdon scrambled it away.

As the game approached the final 5 minutes Josh was moved to the centre of defence and played a wonderful ball that Denver flicked into Freddy’s path. Freddy sprinted clear, leaving his defender behind, before drawing the keeper and slotting home a goal richly deserved after his all-round play. Moments later Jaiden and Josh worked together to close down the Hellesdon striker before winning back possession and driving forward. Freddy and Denver kept the move alive bringing Adam into play in turn finding Jack bursting into the box. Jack’s left footed effort was sweetly struck but the keeper made another great save to keep it out.

A long goal kick from Jude found its way to Tyler on the left flank and he combined well with Freddy but found his route to goal blocked. Tyler was happy to play it back to Charlie who played an incisive defence splitting pass that Adam just couldn’t quite get a touch on before the keeper came out to smother.

There was still time for Aylsham’s 8th goal as the game approached the final whistle. Freddy spotted Mitchy’s run into space down the right channel and found him with a great ball. Mitchy didn’t need to break stride bearing down on goal, drawing the keeper and cutting back inside but a last ditch sliding tackle blocked his initial shot. Mitchy and Adam doubled up to keep the move alive with Adam playing it sideways where Mitchy was on hand to blast a right-footed effort past the keeper for his well earned goal. In the last attack of the game Charlie played Adam through and a great piece of skill created enough space to poke a shot that beat the keeper but fell just the wrong side of the far post.

Aylsham progressed safely into the next round of the Kappa Cup with a dominant performance, particularly in the second half, with the final score 8-0. Hellesdon played their part and didn’t let their heads drop, staying organised and defending doggedly against a rampant opposition.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *